Monday, April 14, 2014

If God is not boring, how come church is?


This has been an interesting week for me as a result of one small suggestion from God. As I was considering how “wide open” my future presently is, I suddenly felt the inclination that he had something particular in mind for me. I was thinking about the possibilities available to me after I complete seminary, some require a little more schooling, others I could do right away. Since starting seminary I have thought about being a teacher, a nurse, an occupational therapist, a career musician, a professor, and numerous other options. Interestingly, I realized that I had not ever thought as deeply about being a pastor as I likely ought to. Funny how we seminarians operate.
            The word that came to mind for me as I was considering all these other options was “settling.” There is nothing at all wrong with being a teacher, nurse, or whatever, but for me, I may very well be settling. I have had a great many moments in which I have been seriously unimpressed with the church and usually these moments correlate with thoughts along the lines of, “how can we do better” and “how can the church look more like Jesus” and “what did they expect this message to communicate other than the antithesis of the gospel?” As something of a prophetic mind, I find myself operating as the critic over and over and have not, lately, found myself in the reformer/creative/implementer-of-change’s chair at all.
            I love the Church with all my heart, and with how poorly I see it operating all around me my gut reaction is to say, “Hope is lost, nothing can be done to save her, all we can do now is try to bow out gracefully and go do guerilla Christianity elsewhere.” So much of my soul wants to duck out of the church and pass my time with a few friends who believe hard and see the same issues going on that I see going on. The appeal of what I call guerilla Christianity is it makes you responsible to a few people for maintaining a relationship with the most high, without having to sit through sermons that are neither inspiring, nor formative, nor informative and without having to sit through worship that feels shallow and redundant.
            I love the Church with all my heart and I want to see her “walk” what she is “talking.” We say God is infinite, so why are we repeating so many things (sermons, songs, ideas, mistakes) if there is, literally, infinitely more to say. That is infinite “talk” followed up with numerically insignificant “walk.” If God is truly infinite, I should never have to hear the same sermon twice, let alone dozens of times. Often it seems underestimations of God are the cause, other times it seems an excessive commitment to people pleasing is the cause, and still other times incompetent leaders seem to be the cause. But no matter the cause, it seems we still sell ourselves short of what we could do when God is with us.
            And then all of this ends up looking like a gun sight narrowly focused on me and demanding, “so what are you going to do about it?” At first I think I cannot do anything, so I bow out; I’ll go do my faith thing over here and see what happens. Yet, lately, it seems like, as I feel the sight focused on me, I have to say, “Well, I guess I can try and do it the way it should be done. I do not know what that is, but I’ll commit to trying to figure it out and do whatever it seems it is that we are supposed to do.”
            This relatively recent feeling of a “call” to the church is uncomfortable, impractical, and also more “right” feeling than most I have experienced in my life. I do not want to work in a church because I know that I will, if I am true to myself and to God, fight so many uphill battles. If I am a pastor people will be angry, people will be offended, and people will question what they believe. And I think the Church should be angry, offended, and questioning much more often than we are, we accept simplification so easily.
            I wish I remembered the exact words of a highly valued friend as he encouraged me on my 23rd birthday. It was something to the effect of, “Kendrick you offend me, but you force me to ask more questions and to dig deeper.”
            May we all, myself wholeheartedly included, dig a little deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment