Thursday, October 24, 2013

Why the new blog?


            For the last four years I have been writing, rather inconsistently, under the blog godisadork.blogspot.com where I have chronicled my some of my unique and varied interactions with God and where I see him all around me. This has included my reflections on interactions with people, events at church, the movies and more. Reflecting on the fact that I started the blog as an 18 year old who imagined that he knew something, I see some of the inherent immaturity in the blog posts. Additionally, while the title of the blog was intentionally chosen and I am not embarrassed of it, I do feel that it is time for a new title and a new approach in my reflections on faith and the pursuit of truth. Additionally, the fact that I am attending seminary now means that I am paying lots of money to study the various expressions of faith and spend lots of time reflecting critically upon them, so hopefully I learn how to reflect on my faith a little better along the way.
            My blog is now called “Polyphonic Truth.” The reasons why I have chosen this title may be apparent, but if not I would like to lay them out for you. I believe, like a modernist, that there is such a thing as absolute truth. I also believe, like a postmodernist, that the truth can be accessed in many ways and, equally important, expressed in many ways, hence polyphonic or "many voices/sounds." I see it in movies, in music, in people, in nature and in theology.  I am also keenly aware that as a twenty-two year old, white, male, urban, semi-Pentecostal, graduate student from an upper-middle class background I see truth in a particular way and the way I see it might not be the way you see it. Additionally, you and I may express truth very differently; I primarily use reflections on faith, you might use abstract art, ballet, or sculpting, none of which I understand very well.
            Because the truth is, admittedly, very hard to know, I have to try to take every expression of it seriously. I don’t want the tainted “Kendrick Barnes Translation” of the truth, I want the actual truth, which means that I want to hear about the truth from people who do not think, look, or act like me. As one of my theology professors Rob Wall said, “I must try to listen to other interpreters, believing that true objectivity emerges out of a community of subjectivities.”
            So here is my expression of truth, I am also very interested in yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment