Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Fifty-Two Books in as Many Weeks

            I realize it may seem a bit late to be talking about my New Year’s resolutions as we are now well into the new year. However, I invested entirely too much time in one of last year’s two resolutions not to talk about it. I set the sizeable and semi-terrifying goal of reading fifty-two books over the course of the year. That’s roughly one book per week.

            As a graduate student, I do a lot of reading regardless of resolution, and so I decided to further torture myself by adding in a slew of extra books. However, if I may confess: I didn’t actually read 52 books in 2015: I ended the year two books shy. I had probably five half-read books with me as I travelled at year’s end, but I didn’t quite hit the mark. That said, I can guarantee that I did several hundred (if not a couple thousand) extra pages out of books that I didn’t finish either because a) the library wanted them back or b) I only had to read portions for school. While there is some sadness in coming so close without hitting the mark, that’s not where my true disappointment lies.

            Unfortunately, I did not consider until late in the year that I ought to read a mix of men and women. At the outset of the year I did commit to having no more than 50% of my reading list be theological nonfiction, but I did not consider gender or race as factors to diversify my reading until much too late. I should state here outright: this is white male privilege at work. This is the primary thing I would change if I were to do it all again. Ironically, it was, at least in part, my readings that led me to the conclusion that this should even be a consideration. And this is the beauty of reading a book.

            Books have the capacity to stimulate ideas in ways that an article or a podcast or a TV episode cannot. Ideally, the reader is in for about a hundred pages dedicated to a single worthwhile idea. Even in fiction, one is still entering a world, or a mind, or a situation that is meant to stir the imagination up to new possibilities. At the end of a book you can probably have a meaningful conversation about its contents with someone. These other media formats, eh.

            And I think that’s just about enough of my ramblings, let’s get to the good stuff. First I have my top five recommendations from last year’s reading, in no particular order, followed by some data about my reading, and finally the list itself.

My Top Five:

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
-       If you do not understand why every person in this country should be saying “Black lives matter,” this is absolutely the book for you to read. Written as a memoir to his son, Coates talks about growing up black in America, a narrative that each of us will benefit to hear. He states: “Difference in hue and hair is old. But the belief in the preeminence of hue and hair, the notion that these factors can correctly organize a society and that they signify deeper attributes, which are indelible—this is the new idea at the heart of these new people who have been brought up hopelessly, tragically, deceitfully, to believe that they are white.” Beautifully written and one of the most stimulating reads I have had in some time, I absolutely recommend this to everyone.

A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit.
-       If you’re a Washingtonian worried about the big earthquake, this little gem may put you at ease. Solnit is my new favorite author from my readings this past year and I hope to read several more of her books this coming year. A Paradise Built in Hell chronicles the beautiful, remarkable communities that form in the wake of disaster. Equally importantly it reveals the myth of the “looter.” Turns out, humans generally do a great job rallying together when bad things happen and it is often our governing structures that assume the worst will happen rather than responding to any real raping, pillaging, or looting.

Salvation on Sand Mountain by Dennis Covington
-       This one sounds like a gut-wrenchingly cliché Christian novel, but is perhaps the furthest thing from it. Covington began by investigating the case of snake-handling pastor Glen Sumerford’s attempted murder of his wife using rattlesnakes, only to find himself strangely attracted to the snake-handling Christian churches. I should probably state at this point that this is a work of nonfiction. Investigative journalism is my new favorite genre and this book is a major part of why that is. Perhaps the most remarkable thing about this book, as student of theology, is that the theological rationale for snake-handling is not that crazy. No crazier than, say, trying to tell women they can’t preach.

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
-       I initially thought this book was relatively new. Turns out, it was written in the mid-70’s and I just had a newer printing. Few other books I can think of offer both a beautiful challenge to modern ideas about gender and a legitimate critique of international relations. Take a look at this little snippet: “Hate Orgoreyn? No, how should I? How does one hate a country, or love one?… I know people, I know towns, farms, hills and rivers and rocks, I know how the sun at sunset in autumn falls on the side of a certain plowland in the hills; but what is the sense of giving a boundary to all that, of giving it a name and ceasing to love where the name ceases to apply? What is love of one's country; is it hate of one's uncountry? Then it's not a good thing. Is it simply self-love? That's a good thing, but one mustn't make a virtue of it or a profession… Insofar as I love life, I love the hills of the Domain of Estre, but that sort of love does not have a boundary-line of hate. And beyond that, I am enduring I hope... A man who doesn't detest a bad government is a fool. And if there were such a thing as a good government on earth, it would be a great joy to serve it.” I recommend dwelling on that one next fourth of July.

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
-       I literally read this one twice this year. It is one of my all time favorite fiction novels, my favorite of Lewis’ writings, and one of the most theologically rich novels of all time. It is beautiful and I cannot recommend it enough. While many people get hung up on those supposed “universalistic” elements of the text, it should be said that Lewis was not trying to propose any sort of theology of heaven or hell. I have seriously considered writing a book study companion to this text for the sake of helping people draw out the remarkable and beautiful themes sprinkled throughout.

Honorable Mention: Waist-High in the World by Nancy Mairs
-       This one gets an honorable mention and not an inclusion in my top five because I finished it in 2016. If you want a very funny, poignant, challenging, honest look at disability, this is as good as I have yet found. A Catholic, feminist, with MS, Mairs is my favorite author of 2016 so far. So much of what she writes rings true for my own disability experience as well. Rarely does such sincerity permeate autobiographical writing.

Some Numbers:
Total Pages Read: 9,744
Average book length: 194.88 pages
Shortest book: The Variable Man. 59 pages
Longest Book: The Christian Imagination 384 pages
Women Authors Read: 14
Male Authors Read: 29
Most read genre: Theological Nonfiction, 36%, 18 books (maybe more, depending on how you count it)
Sci-Fi: 28% (14 books)
Most Read Author: C.S. Lewis (four books)
Books Read for Class or Master’s Thesis: 36% (18 books)[1]


The Big List: (with a few italicized that I strongly recommend, and my above top five in bold)
1.     The Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood ~250pg
2.     The Variable Man by Phillip K Dick 59pg
3.     The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis 146pg
4.     Out of the Silent Planet Lewis 160pg
5.     Silence by Shusaku Endo 190
6.     Perelandra by C.S. Lewis 222
7.     Celtic way of Evangelism by George Hunter 120
8.     Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit 154
9.     Becoming a Healthier Pastor by Ronald Richardson 148
10.  Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer 122

11.  Charis by Preston Sprinkle 172
12.  Business as a Holy Calling 1st edition by Tim Dearborn 114
13.  Business as a Holy Calling 2nd edition by Tim Dearborn 115[2]
14.  Telling the Truth by Frederick Buechner 98
15.  A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor 252
16.  The Time Machine by H.G. Wells 103
17.  Caring for Gods people by Phillip Culbertson 340
18.  Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~300
19.  The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 97
20.  Rediscovering an Evangelical Heritage by Donald Dayton & Douglas Strong. 180

21.  Disability and Christian theology by Deborah Creamer 120
22.  Theology, Disability and the New Genetics: Why Science Needs the Church. Edited by John Swinton and Brian Brock. 244
23.  The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Leguin 330
24.  Salvation on Sand Mountain by Dennis Covington 240
25.  The Disabled God by Nancy Eiesland 119
26.  The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer 92
27.  A Paradise Built in Hell by Rebecca Solnit. 368
28.  The War of the worlds by H.G. wells 204
29.  Frankenstein by Mary Shelly 126
30.  The Scarlet Plague by Jack London. 128

31.  A Healing Homiletic by Kathy Black. 186
32.  Relearning Jesus by Matthew Paul Turner. 186
33.  The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. 95
34.  The Gifts of imperfection by Brenee Brown. 126
35.  Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer. 350
36.  The House Behind the Cedars by Charles Chesnutt. 208
37.  The Bible, Disability, and the Church by Amos Yong 142
38.  Living Gently in a Violent World by Stanley Hauerwas and Jean Vanier 117
39.  The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. 206
40.  The Christian imagination by Willie James Jennings 384

41.  The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. 291
42.  Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres. 356
43.  Aimee Semple McPherson and the Resurrection of Christian America by Matthew Avery Sutton. 280
44.  Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. 152
45.  Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. 311
46.  That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis 381
47.  Baby by J.K. Accinni 194
48.  Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente. 127
49.  The Spirituals and the Blues by James Cone. 130
50.  Resurrecting the Person by John Swinton. 209





[1] I feel that I should note that probably only two-thirds of my theological nonfiction was read for class. It is a genre that I greatly enjoy for its own sake, thus my pursuit of a Masters in Theology.
[2] While it may seem a bit lazy to include two editions of the same book, I was a part of the editing process for this book and as such read both editions very closely multiple times over, so it seems a shame not to count them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment